Friday, October 30, 2009

Expensive Private Health Insurance

Friday, October 30, 2009
One of my major expenses every month is my private health insurance for which I have a top cover - hospital + extras. I pay roughly $125 a month and I get 75% back of everything that I pay for provided it's below the capped plan. The main reason for this is dentistry. I grew up in a country where dental care and 6-monthly dental check-ups are for the rich. When I complained of a tooth ache when I was around 13, my aunt took me to a dentist for the first time in my life (that I remember) and he immediately took the tooth out. I didn't go to a dentist years after that. Until a couple of years later when it really started to hurt and I had to get two root canals. A root canal costs around $1200 to $1500 and without a health cover, I had to pay that in full (and J paid most of it anyway). That's why I decided to get the top cover - just in case!

I had a little mishap on Tuesday during a training session. I was jogging down a very steep hill when I twisted my ankle & could only shuffle the following day. I went to a physio & the bill came to $90. Very expensive! My insurance covered $67.50 of the cost so I only paid $22.50. Not bad for a long appointment!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates