Saturday, September 19, 2009

Cheap & Easy: Penne with Meatballs

Saturday, September 19, 2009
The ultimate cheap and easy meal is pasta - get a few grams of meat, a pasta sauce and you're set. Or if you have pasta, some olive oil, herbs, spices and some vegetables, toss it together and it makes a simple healthy meal.

J & I love our pasta. We try and not have it often (due to high carbs!) but it's definitely one of our fail safe meals. Tonight, I'm cooking a simple penne pasta with meatballs. The recipe called for frozen meatballs but I made my own tonight for the first time. The frozen meatballs are usually around $6-7, the home made ones are less than that and yummier. I usually get mince when they're on sale for around $2.50 per half a kilo. Most of the other ingredients you should have in your cupboard.

Meatballs

1/2 kilo pork mince
1 egg
breadcrumbs
1.5 cup tasty cheese
salt & pepper to taste
fresh herbs

Mix these ingredients together and roll them up into little meatballs.

Then fry them. Once they're cooked, add mushrooms and the pasta sauce of your choice. In a sauce pan, bring water to a boil and put your penne in. Mix together. Sprinkle with some more fresh herbs.

Eat with gusto and a glass of wine!

2 comments:

paranoidasteroid said...

The best thing about pasta, I think, is that there are so many delicious ways to cook it! There are so many sauces, and you can mix it up with different meats and cheeses and veggies.

It is too bad about the carbs, not that that keeps me from making all too often!

Miss M said...

Too true! I think I just have to be more adventurous with pasta. At the moment, I could only cook really thick sauce-based ones and the carbonara creamy pasta. I want to explore the oil-based & the seafood pastas as well. Next time...

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates